Monday, June 10, 2013

7 Months

Hey everyone!

So this week was pretty awesome. And I already finished 7 months…this is going way too fast…

IMG_1237[1]

So we’re teaching this family who is awesome. The kids are all older but still live there in the house. We’d taught the dad a few times and he’s cool and just couldn’t find the rest of them when we went there. We finally found his wife about a week and a half ago. But the guy always told us “hey can you go invite my son to come join us?” We thought that was kinda dumb, like we don’t even know the guy and every time we try to yell up to the second floor to invite him down, someone else up there tells us he’s not there. But we kept going with it and kept yelling up to the second floor to try to get him to come down. We were just a little confused at why the guy just wouldn’t talk to his son about it and that would be a lot easier. I’m sure you’re all expecting a really cool or interesting reason why he didn’t just do it himself…there’s not, we still don’t really get it. However, we yelled up to him on Saturday in the afternoon to invite him down, and he came out and was surprisingly very excited. He came down and was awesome, came to church yesterday with his family. It’s really not all that cool of a story but it’s just something that was a little weird.

IMG_1255[1]

We also had a few baptisms this week. I told you about R* last week.  He is a musician (he plays the drums and plays in places all over Iquitos. I’ve only heard a little bit of him playing the drums but he is in fairly high demand so he’s gotta be good. But he was the last member of his family to be baptized and I can just see how much this one thing has changed his life already. His wife is in treatment for an illness. And she was going to travel at the beginning of the month for treatment, but her husband asked her to stay so she could be here for his baptism. Kinda just gives me a little look at the importance of the family in this gospel. Without the family, this gospel really just doesn’t carry quite as much weight and really, his family was the only reason he even started to listen to us.

IMG_1257[1]

W* was also baptized and is the 9 year old son of some members that had come to church his whole life but just didn’t get baptized when he was 8. I’m still just trying to figure out why that happened, but it did. I think you can all see the importance of the family with him and his family. There are 42 of them that live in three houses all next to each other that are all members. It’s just a little sad because only about 6 of them come to church.

I love my family and I’m grateful to have the parents I do. That being said, I hope the package I sent last week makes it to the US…also to the house…it was somewhat expensive to send… [You’re telling me!]

Love you guys and thanks for everything!

Elder Peacock

PS changes the week that’s coming and the mission splits at the end of the month [note the Spanish syntax creeping into his English]

No comments:

Post a Comment