Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I’m a Father!

Ok, so I guess that subject line could use some explaining...

For those of you that have never been missionaries before that means that my companion is fresh out of the MTC [Missionary Training Center] and I'm training him.  His name is Elder Villar and he is from Huanuco, Perú which is like a 12 hour car ride away so really not very far away.  The weirdest thing ever is that he is taller than me...I did not even know that a Peruvian that is taller than me existed and now he's my comp.  I haven't taken a picture with him yet so you’ll just all have to wait to see him, but he's a lanky fella and he told me that he wants to gain 20 kilos on the mission....or 50 pounds....That is a lot.  But that means he wants to go to the gym a lot which I like because I hadn't had a companion that would get up to go to the gym until now.  

Because he’s new, he's not really used to teaching at all, nor does he really know how to do it, which is why I'm his father, because he's like a newborn in this world of being a missionary.  But going to our first lesson (we hadn't had any time to study or to plan together just because he had just gotten here and we had a lesson right then), I was trying to talk to him about what we were going to teach and trying to tell him which parts I wanted him to talk about, and he was just like yeah! yeah! I got it don't worry, I got it.  So I was like alright I guess we'll just go with it and see what happens...so we get into the lesson and I start teaching and then I look to him when it was his turn to talk and he just looks right back at me with the widest eyes I have ever seen and mouths to me "NO" while shaking his head.  It took pretty much everything I had to not just bust up laughing because of that.  Afterwards he apologized and now he likes to listen a little bit more when we talk about what we're going to teach.  He is a bit timid and does not like to talk to people in the street...or do more than bear his testimony of what I'm teaching and then look right back at me.  But I think it'll get better....hopefully.  Right now it feels a little bit like I'm dragging him around right now but it's alright.  

Anyways this week was good and training is definitely a different thing seeing as I'm the only one with any idea of what's going on...haha

Love you all and hope you have a good week!!

Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment