Wednesday, November 27, 2013

New Kid!

http://i0.wp.com/drewpeterson2.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/funny-turkey-cartoon-1.jpeg

So about 3 months I told you that I have a son and that he was Peruvian...well that son got shipped off to Iquitos last week and now I have a second son [new missionaries in their first area].  I think I'm actually the first  American missionary in the mission Iquitos to be training another American missionary. It's so weird to be with another American.  When I got here, there were no 2 American missionaries together...now, I'm training one.  His name is Elder Lee and he is from Idaho and we went to the gym this week and he made me feel like a little girl.  When he goes home, he's going to play safety [football position for the uninitiated] at Boise State.  He already speaks Spanish really well and he's just really cool.  He got hit with the first week sickness like every other American who gets here but that was just one day and now he's fine.  So yeah, he's American, cool and loves football...I think you can say I'm excited about this companionship!  I don't have a picture for you yet...I forgot the cord to send pictures....next week...

This week we taught this less active kid who's 19.  But it's interesting.  His dad is the branch [congregation] mission leader, his brother is a returned missionary and the 2nd counselor in the branch and his uncle is the branch president. With all of that support, he still went inactive [fell away from the Church]-- not because he's not a good kid, but just because he had some bad friends.  I feel like having that kind of family should help him to stay active or to help him go back to church but really I don't think any of them ever said anything to him.  We finally got to talk to him, I'd never been able to find him before when he was just in the house for a minute.  We read with him in Alma 7 about the Atonement and really he kinda just broke down and asked us if we could keep teaching him and help him go back to church.  What I can't believe is that with all of those family members, NONE of them ever invited him with love to go back to church.  Maybe they told him he should do it but didn't really help them to be able to understand why.  If you love someone and you know they're going down a path that won't bring them happiness, don't just let them do it! help them to do what they should. Don't just say that it's their life and they can choose what they want to do.  If you really love them, you want the best for them. If you think it's not your responsibility, you're wrong.  It's yours.  Especially with your own family.  You're the only one who can do it.  There is no one else.  I just feel like he lost time and a part of his life just because everyone thought that he just had to choose for himself.  It's true but they have to help him.  Love those around you.  Invite them to come unto Christ if it's for the first time or if they had already started the path before.  Invite them back.  I've heard about a thousand times from the area presidency and from President Gomez this scripture 3 Nephi 18:32:

Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your asynagogues, or your places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall bheal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them.

I love you guys and have a great week.

Elder Peacock

PS I'm gonna have a Thanksgiving lunch on Thursday.  Should be just like what grandma and grandpa used to make!! Maybe not quite as good though.....here in PerĂ¹ you don`t have to buy a turkey you just kill it. much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment