Monday, February 3, 2014

Rollin’

Hey everyone!
This week was like the exact opposite of the last week.  Last week we were just so busy doing busy work that we barely had any time to do missionary work and then this week we were basically working the entire week like normal and it was awesome!  Then, this coming week we lose like 3 days going to Iquitos for a meeting with all of the Zone Leaders.  So I guess it's just like always going to be like this.  It's alright, it makes for some more adventures right?

Today I want to tell you guys about like my favorite member ever.  His name is Isaac and he is in a wheelchair.  He has no function in his legs, nor has he ever.  He is the Ward Mission Leader  here and he is the best.  [A Ward Mission Leader is a member of the local congregation and he helps coordinate missionary efforts between the congregation which is organized geographically and the assigned missionaries.]  He always goes around with us to teach, always has referrals for us and is just always willing to help us, we just have to wheel him around, which is fun anyways. 

IMG_2955

A few weeks ago, he told us that he would hit his 3 years as a member mark on the 29th and I told him that we were going to get him a cake for that day and he just laughed it off.  Well, we showed up that night with a cake for him!  He is really a great example.  He has had one of the hardest lives of anyone I've ever met and for a long time he was just bitter with the world.  Then everything changed when he joined the church.  He is now probably one of the happiest people that I know.  He has the strongest testimony and drive to do good of anyone that I know.  It really makes me think of the story in the Book of Mormon in Mosiah 24.  Especially verse 14. 

14 And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as bwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions.

We pass through hard times so that we can know that God will help us.  He is really just a great example for me and I especially love going on splits [when a member of the Church goes with a missionary to a teaching appointment] with him.  Just rolling around the neighborhood with Isaac (his nickname is "chucky" hahahha.

I love you guys and hope you have a great week!!

Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment